I hold a Diploma in Latin American Studies and a Ph.D. in Political Science from the University of Cologne (Germany).
From 2013 until 2017, I was a Postdoc at the Institute of Political Science at the University of Zurich (Switzerland).
In the winter term 2018/2019 I was an interim professor at the Goethe University Frankfurt (‘Vertretungsprofessur’ for Prof. Dr. Brigitte Geißel).
In my research I focus on the impact of clientelism and populism on different facets of representative democracy in Latin America and beyond.
News – Just Published
- Ruth-Lovell, Saskia P., David Doyle, and Kirk A. Hawkins (2019) “Consequences of Populism Memo for The Guardian’s The New Populism Project“, Team Populism & The Guardian.
=> This memo builds the basis for the following news article by Paul Lewis, Seán Clarke, and Caelainn Barr on “Revealed: populist leaders linked to reduced inequality“, The Guardian, March 7, 2019.
- “Policy Brief on Populism in Europe and the Americas: What, When, Who, and So What?“, Team Populism, June 2018, IE University, Spain.
- Bolleyer, Nicole and Saskia P. Ruth (2018): Elite Investments in Party Institutionalization: A Two-Dimensional Approach, The Journal of Politics 80(1): 288-302.
- Giebler, Heiko, Saskia P. Ruth, and Dag Tanneberg (2018): Why Choice Matters? Revisiting and Comparing Measures of Democracy. Politics and Governance, 6(1): 1-10.
=> This is the editorial to a recently published special issue in Politics and Governance. All contributions can be accessed for free here.
- Ruth, Saskia P. (2018): Populism and the Erosion of Horizontal Accountability in Latin America, Political Studies 66(2): 356–375.
=> 2018 Harrison Prize Winner, Political Studies Association
- Huber, Robert and Saskia P. Ruth (2017): Mind the Gap! Populism, Participation and Representation in Europe, Swiss Political Science Review 23(4): 462-484.
News – Miscellaneous
- We just published the print&play documents of our “Democracy & Games” project which was funded by Demokrative. Let’s Play Demokratiebarometer, print & play Material for three short educational games can be downloaded at https://demokrative.ch/index.php/de-de/projekte/db-spiele.
- I recently joined the new convernors of the ECPR Standing Group on Latin American Politics – which will host the upcoming Summer School on Political Behaviour in Latin America together with the School of Global and Public Affairs at IE University in Madrid. For more information see here.
News – Books
GIGA – German Institute of Global and Area Studies
Neuer Jungfernstieg 21 / 20354 Hamburg / Germany