I hold a Diploma in Latin American Studies and a Ph.D. in Political Science from the University of Cologne (Germany). From 2013 until 2017, I was a Postdoc at the Institute of Political Science at the University of Zurich (Switzerland).
In my research I focus on different mobilization strategies of political parties – in particular clientelism and populism – and their relationship with the quality of democratic governance in Latin America and beyond.
News – Just Published
- “Policy Brief on Populism in Europe and the Americas: What, When, Who, and So What?“, Team Populism, June 2018, IE University, Spain.
- Bolleyer, Nicole and Saskia P. Ruth (2018): Elite Investments in Party Institutionalization: A Two-Dimensional Approach, The Journal of Politics 80(1): 288-302.
- Giebler, Heiko, Saskia P. Ruth, and Dag Tanneberg (2018): Why Choice Matters? Revisiting and Comparing Measures of Democracy. Politics and Governance, 6(1): 1-10.
=> This is the editorial to a recently published special issue in Politics and Governance. All contributions can be accessed for free here.
- Huber, Robert and Saskia P. Ruth (2017): Mind the Gap! Populism, Participation and Representation in Europe, Swiss Political Science Review 23(4): 462-484.
- Ruth, Saskia P. (2017): Populism and the Erosion of Horizontal Accountability in Latin America, online first in Political Studies.
News – Books
News – Other
Project publication “Game design as a teaching tool”, funded by the Lehrkredit of the Universität Zürich (available only in german).
“Spielentwicklung als Lehrkonzept. Eine Handreichung mit forschungsbasierten Beispielen zum Thema ‘Demokratie'”, authored by Rebecca Welge, Saskia P. Ruth, and Robert A. Lovell, 2018.
For more details see Gamification.
GIGA – German Institute of Global and Area Studies
Neuer Jungfernstieg 21 / 20354 Hamburg / Germany