I am an Assistant Professor at the Department of Political Science at Radboud University in Nijmegen, NL. In my research I focus on the impact of clientelism and populism on different facets of representative democracy in Latin America and beyond.
I hold a Diploma in Latin American Studies and a Ph.D. in Political Science from the University of Cologne (Germany). Between 2013 and 2019 I worked as a Postdoc at the Institute of Political Science at the University of Zurich (Switzerland) and as a Research Fellow at the GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies, Institute of Latin America Studies, in Hamburg (Germany). In the winter term 2018/2019 I was an interim professor at the Goethe University Frankfurt (‘Vertretungsprofessur’ for Prof. Dr. Brigitte Geißel).
News – Just Published
- Bolleyer, Nicole and Saskia P. Ruth-Lovell (2019): Party institutionalization as multilevel concept: base- versus elite-level routinization, Zeitschrift für Vergleichende Politikwissenschaft, 13(2):175-198.
- Ruth-Lovell, Saskia P., David Doyle, and Kirk A. Hawkins (2019) “Consequences of Populism Memo for The Guardian’s The New Populism Project“, Team Populism & The Guardian.
=> This memo builds the basis for the following news article by Paul Lewis, Seán Clarke, and Caelainn Barr on “Revealed: populist leaders linked to reduced inequality“, The Guardian, March 7, 2019.
- Ruth-Lovell, Saskia and Maria Spirova (2019) (Eds.): Clientelism and Democratic Representation in Comparative Perspective, Colchester: ECPR Press/ Rowman & Littlefield.
News – Miscellaneous
- New Erasmus+ KA2, Strategic Partnership, Project: DEMOGAMES
Democracy and Games: Analog and Digital Game-Based Learning Tools for Youth Work. From September 2019 onwards, the project will be carried out in cooperation with international partners from the field of youth work and result in a toolkit on democracy education reaching beyond academic circles.
- We just published the print&play documents of our “Democracy & Games” project which was funded by Demokrative. Let’s Play Demokratiebarometer, print & play Material for three short educational games can be downloaded at https://demokrative.ch/index.php/de-de/projekte/db-spiele.
- I recently joined the new convernors of the ECPR Standing Group on Latin American Politics – which will host the upcoming Summer School on Political Behaviour in Latin America together with the School of Global and Public Affairs at IE University in Madrid. For more information see here.
Department of Political Science
6500 HK Nijmegen, NL